Site of Little Hulton railway station Mary Hughes Thompson writes from California. 

"Like all of my brothers and my sister I attended St Edmunds School. My friend Patsy McArdle and I remember visiting the site of the German plane crash on the railway tracks across the moor from St Edmunds, but a few years ago, when I visited Walkden Library, I could find no record of the incident ever having been published in the local papers.

I learned to knit at St Edmunds at age six or seven, when the teachers handed out wool and needles so we could all knit for the RAF. I'm still knitting. I remember we all helped put netting on the inside of the school windows.
 Site of Little Hulton Station (David Dixon) / CC BY-SA 2.0  I have lots of fond memories of Madams Wood, and
remember Walkden Monument and the trams that used to run along Bolton Road. The Criterion, which we called The Crit, and the Palace, where I worked for a while as an Usherette as a teenager.

I recall the Walkden Wakes every year after the war, and helping make hay at Thornley's Farm. People here think it always rains in England, but all I can remember from my childhood in Little Hulton are sunny days and popping the tarbubbles as we walked down Hilton Lane."

 Bryan Chadwick remembers:

 "I have fond memories of Little Hulton. I was born in New Bury, Farnworth but I spent a lot of my youth in Little Hulton. When I was about twelve I worked on Stan Kearshaw's farm on Saturdays - it is not there now - Dukesgate is built on the land now. My job was to go out with the horse and cart to people's home and get potato peelings and old vegetables and people would expect me on Saturday so they would save them for me. Stan would boil them up to feed to his pigs.

I left school in fifty six and went to work at Roscoe’s Foundry in Little Hulton as an apprentice moulder. (John Bobs people used to call it, and I guess they still do if it is still there) My pay was thirty shillings a week.
 I stayed there for about a year then I went to work at Bennis Combustion Little Hulton - two shillings a week more!!

At night time my mates and I would go to Peel Park, as it was a good place to meet girls. Every Tuesday night there was a dance at that co-op on the corner of Buckley Lane, dancing to Elvis, Buddy Holly, Little Richard to name a few. I used to go in the Horse Shoe (the old one) and the Royal Oak or Mad Bobs as it was known.

I saw Kenyon estate being built. My farther was a brick layer for G J Seddon. I met my wife in the Horse Shoe, she lived down Kenyon Way and worked at the Lucozade works untill they had that fire in 1960, when she got laid off. In 1962 we got married at St Pauls Peel in Little Hulton, and in 1967 we came to Canada, but we come back often."

   Graham Howard (aka Donovan) writes :

"I moved to Little Hulton with my parents in 1951. I was only 3 at the time and moved into N0 12 Trafford Drive. Went to school at St John the Baptist Primary. Then on to "Joeys" or Joseph Easthams County Secondary. I remember the Arndale being built and the civic hall.

I recall drinking at the Bulls Head before going to Palace Picture House. I worked for Target Wines in the Arndale, then on to Listers and Grecian Mill. I also remember meeting up with fellow 'Rockers' at Bobs Cafe."
Walter Cockerell recalls:

"This photo was taken some time after the war, probably 1947 or 48. We must have been camping out on the old Dearden's farm. The building in the background on the right may be part of the old 'flat tops' estate and those on the left the rear of West Way."


>  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Susan Barnes.writes from Bisbane, Australia:

 Thank you for compiling the
> website as in my old
> age I have become more interested in my roots which never seemed 
> important when I was young.
> One of my ambitions as a
> little girl was to walk in
> the Whit Walks. (My family had moved from Walkden and Little Hulton to 
> Yorkshire after WWII.) One year in the early 1950s, my mother borrowed 
> a white dress for me to wear and I was able to fulfil this ambition, 
> taking part in the Cleggs Lane Methodists Chapel Whit Walks whilst on 
> a visit to my Grandparents (who lived across the road from the 
> Lucozade Factory) - I had no idea what the Whit Walks was all about - 
> I just wanted to parade in a white dress and eat buns and sandwiches 
> afterwards. 
> Does anyone else remember
> Tasikers' ice cream ? Ith
> was manufactured in a green wooden shed next door to my garndparents' 
> house (200 Manchester Road West.) The vanilla ice-cream tasted 
> delicious and creamy and there were two options: "with" or "without." 
> "With" had raspberry sauce known as raspberry vinegar (I imagine these 
> days it would be called "raspberry coulis") The ice cream had a 
> distinctive taste and I wonder if it was made using sterilised milk 
> (these days known as long-life milk) as this was the commonest form of 
> milk most people used.
> Special teas at
> Grandmas usually ended with tinned peaches (from Australia) and tinned 
> sterilised cream (Fussel's cream.) Grandma kept us busy shaking the 
> tin to thicken it up.
> Another distinct memory of
> Little Hulton is fences
> made from huge slabs of stone (I assume it was stone of some kind - 
> slate perhaps - as a child stone was just stone.) They would have been 
> quite dangerous if they'd fallen on a child. Where did these big slabs 
> come from that ordinary people could fence their front yards with 
> them? What happened to them?
> Cheers, Susan Barnes.
> (Brisbane,
> Australia)