Diagram of a tram dolly    During Victorian times several coal mines were opened in Little Hulton. In the 1830s tramways were built to transport coal down to the Bridgewater Canal at Boothstown.

On these early tramways, wagons full of coal were sent by force of gravity down hill to Boothstown. A man would control the train by use of a brake and horses would ride in wagons. Once the coal had been unloaded on to barges on the Bridgewater Canal, the empty wagons were hauled back by the horses.

To the left is a diagram of a tram dolly.
 Peel Hall Colliery (picture to the right, about 1905), was sunk for a Mr Roscoe around 1850. As well as horse-drawn carts, steam locomotives were used to transport coal. Other collieries in Little Hulton included Ashton Fields (closed in the 1920s) and Brackley (closed in 1964).

In 1870 the London and North Western Railway opened a railway line from Roe Green on the Eccles, Tyldesley and Wigan Railway to serve collieries at Little Hulton owned by the Hulton Colliery Company.
   Peel Hall Colliery 1905  
       

For a detailed account of the coal industry up to 1900 see 'The Canal Duke's Collieries, by Glen Atkinson (Second edition, 1998. Published by Neil Richardson)