Whit Walks on Clegg's Lane,1circa 1910.


‘Heghetun,’ ‘Hulton’ or ‘Hilton’ began its life as part of the manor of Worsley and the parish of Deane. It contained three townships, Over Hulton, Middle Hulton and Little Hulton. By the end of the 13th century, Henry de Worsley had granted lands to a branch of the Hulton Family who lived in at Hulton Park in Over Hulton.

The various halls and their owners are described on the HALLS page.

Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, coal mining was a major industry in Little Hulton: see the COAL MINING page.

In 1874 the Bolton to Eccles
railway extension to the Manchester to Bolton line was opened with passenger services commencing in 1875. The line closed in 1965.

Weaving and the cotton industry
were also important industries in Little Hulton and many people were employed in the Mills at this time and until the middle of the 20th century. In 1891, there were five mills in the local area.

This township or civil parish was in Lancashire. It was in Deane ecclesiastical parish and in the Bolton Poor Law Union. In 1872 Little Hulton Local Board of Health was established for the area of the township. In 1894 the area of the Local Board became an Urban District.

In 1953
the Urban District was dissolved and its area became part of Worsley Urban District. Finally, in 1974 it became part of the City of Salford.

After the destruction of the Second World War, the City of Salford was forced to re-house many of its inhabitants and pulled down some of the slum housing in central Salford. Within the city boundaries there was virtually no land left, so Worsley Urban District Council was asked for help, Lancashire County Council (as the Planning Authority) provided the necessary technical and financial assistance.

As a result, 4,518 new houses were built in Little Hulton between 1949 and 1962 in a scheme dubbed ‘the Worsley Project’ in four neighbourhoods, Mount Skip, Peel, Wharton and Armitage. 18,000 people were re-housed under the scheme, which included new facilities such as a Library, two doctors, a Post Office, Clinic, Social Club and Community Centre, 33 new shops and five new schools.